Friday, November 18, 2011

What brand and model of watch did you wear today and yesterday?

I now wear a LeCoultre "Futurematic" that debuted in 1953. It has a self-wind mechanical movement that displays hours, minutes, seconds and power reserve. It tells me my watch will run 30 more hours if I do not wind it by moving my wrist. It has an 18 karat yellow gold round case 36 mm in diameter with fancy Art Deco strap lugs and a disc on the back for setting the time, so there is no crown at 3.00 on the case band. The dial is champagne enamel with small gold triangle markers at the hours (2 larger ones at 12:00) and black dashes for minutes, larger at 5 minute intervals. It has two sub-dials. One at 3:00 on the main dial shows seconds, and one at 9:00 shows power reserve in hours. Hands are gold Dauphine-style in 3 sizes. The strap is sienna (reddish brown) crocodile skin with a gold buckle.


Yesterday, I wore a Tiffany %26amp; Co, "Classic" with manual-wind mechanical movement that displays hours, minutes and seconds (of solar mean time to be specific). It is just a bit smaller than the "Futurematic" with round 18kt. yellow gold case and plainer lugs. The dial is white enamel with gold bar hour markers but no minute markers. A sub-dial at 6:00 shows seconds. Hands are gold baton-style. The strap is black lizard skin with gold buckle.


Antoine LeCoultre began making watch movements in 1833. His grandson David LeCoultre took master watch-maker Edmund Jaeger as a partner at an uncertain date, probably about 1920-1927. I own 1952 and 1953 watches labeled "LeCoultre" and a 1956 one labeled "Jaeger-LeCoultre".


Charles Lewis Tiffany and John P. Young opened a department store in New York in 1837. Later, they took several partners, and the firm was incorporated as "Tiffany %26amp; Company" in 1851. They sold jewelry and introduced Patek Philippe watches to the USA. They eventually began making their own watches too. I once lived about 10 years 2.5 blocks from San Francisco's Tiffany %26amp; Co. store at about 450 Post Street I think.


5 POINTS FOR THE MOST THOUROUGH DESCRIPTION OF AN EXCELLENT WATCH!|||I just wear a plain and simple Timex...with a leather strap.I have had it for five years and it has not given me any problems....and I wear it every day. I just need a watch that is basic for every day use. It is oval and has a second hand to count the seconds.The strap is black leather and the is at least 10 years old.|||I own several fine watches. Today, I'm wearing my Vacheron Constantin model "1972" that has a Vacheron Calibre 1202 quartz movement for hours and minutes only. It has an 18 kt. yellow gold parallelogram case that is 23.5 mm wide. The long side at 9:00 is 34 mm. in length, and the short one at 3:00 is 28.5 mm. It has 46 brilliant cut diamonds on the bezel around the dial. The dial is mother-of-pearl with black Roman numerals III, VI, IX and XII and black dashes for the other hours. The hands are gold gladius-style. The strap is reddish tan crocodile skin with a gold ardillon buckle. About 10-15 years ago, Vacheron charged $100 for such a strap and $600 for the gold buckle, but the price of gold has increased much, so I suppose the buckle would cost about $1200-$1500 by now. My "1972" model watch cost $12,100 in 2006.


Yesterday, I wore my Patek Philippe "Twenty-4" with Patek Calibre C E1 5" quartz movement for hours and minutes only. The case is a steel 25X30 mm. rectangle with diamonds on the sides at 3:00 and 9:00. It has a white dial with ten diamond hour markers and Roman numerals VI and XII. It is held on my wrist by a steel bracelet with rectangular links longer horizontally than vertically. It cost $11,500 in 2009.


I own seven nice watches. Cheapest is a Rolex "Lady Datejust" that cost $7025 in steel and gold with bracelet recently.|||I don't wear a watch, because if I do, it stops.|||This week, I have worn a basic Poljot watch that my father bought and later gave to me. "Poljot" means "Flight" in Russian, and this brand was an important one in my country. It is no longer in business now, but some movements by Poljot are still used by brands Vostok makes. Russian watches are not as costly as Swiss ones.|||I born Japan, today wear Omega "Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-Axial" self-wind movement show hour, minute, second and date, 30 mm. round steel case, 18 karat rose gold bezel, glass back, water-resistant 150 meters, black dial have rose gold and tritium triangles so hour markers, rose gold hands have tritium inlays, hour hand is dauphine, minute hand is dauphine have arrow tip, have steel and rose gold bracelet, cost $5900 now.


Yesterday wear Seiko "Le Grand Sport" quartz watch show hour, minute, second and date, 27 mm. round steel case and bracelet have gold-tone accents, have diamonds at bezel all around dial, mother-of-pearl dial have gold-tone VI, XII and triangles so hour markers, gold-tone leaf hands, cost $625 now.|||My country China makes cheap copies of some costly watch brands. I wore one yesterday labeled Solina that copies a Cartier "Panthere" with square case in white and yellow tones and matching bracelet; white dial with full black Roman numerals and minutes track; and blue steel sword hands, all just like the real Cartier. Today, I am wearing a round gold-colored skeleton watch with no label that has a hand-wind movement and has hands for hours, minutes and seconds. Skeleton watches have glass on the front and back to show the movements. It has a thin black leather strap with crocodile pattern. The whole watch cost less than a real crocodile strap, however.|||I dont wear a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment