Friday, November 18, 2011

Why do you think many people believe Rolex is the costliest watch brand?

I heard much about Rolexes when I was a boy, so I bought one soon after graduation from college. In the early 1990's, I saw that among automatic 4-function sports watches with gold bracelets, the Rolex "OP Datejust" cost $13,150. My comparable Breguet "Marine" cost $29,500 and was the costliest of its type. Recently, among 2-function hand-wind gold dress watches with leather straps, my Patek Philippe cost $15,000, my Vacheron Constantin cost $13,300 and my 2 Cartiers cost $12,300 and $12,100, while a comparable Rolex cost $3650. My basic dress watches cost 3.31 to 4.11 times as much as a comparable Rolex, and my sports watch cost 2.24 times as much. My pal Ken Fong insisted that Rolex is the costliest brand, as many people do. He was speechless when I showed him price lists I made of various types of watches, and he saw that Rolex was always well below the costliest on all of my many lists. I just wonder why people overestimate so many things, e.g. the relative prices of Rolex watches.|||Unless like myself you know the difference between the upper echelon of watches all they know is what they see advertisements for and Rolex has the most advertising. They see a Rolex advertised for 12,990 and they think it is expensive however were they to go to a showing they may see some watches that fetch 30-40,000 and they would recieve an education.|||Good answer, since I see Rolex spent $47, 100, 000 on advertising in the USA alone in 2007. Next to it were Breitling and TAG Heuer with about half that much. Rolex is hyped and thus overestimated.

Report Abuse


|||Vacheron Constantin and Patek Phillipe. Now those are watches.

Report Abuse


|||Patek phillipe makes there own movement by and individual


watchmaker rolex mass produce them and also, rolex spends more on advertising then the High grade watches do like the ones you listed|||the ROLEX watch is very expensive thats why most poeple buy it but there are different watches thats way more than the ROLEX watch.|||Because they don't know about the other brands you mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment